This blog assumes that blind spots of power come with the CEO role no matter how good or true or well-intended you are. You can't afford to have them. So I give reminders of what I have seen in my experience to help you see. Or try to see. Monday morning practical tips will help you sharpen up and see what tweaks you and your blind spot. A little whack on the side of the head with your Monday morning coffee.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

SEE ENERGY AS TANGIBLE AS YOUR P&L



SEE ORGANIZATIONAL ENERGY AS TANGIBLE AS YOUR P&L STATEMENT

I get agitated when people tell me about the boring, non-productive, rote,
poorly organized, non-focused meetings and retreats and workshops they have to attend.

Let's start with "have to".  What if all meetings were voluntary?
State the purpose and see who shows up. That would tell you where organizational energy really is.  Where does people's energy go?
Too often it goes to figuring out what the heck is going on with the top executives.

I have seen meetings become a resting place. People enter a trance.  
"Thank goodness, I can rest and hide in this cocoon of a meeting?  Hope my numbers are right.?  I'll do my part and then wait til this washes over me.
Where's my Blackberry?"

OK,not all meetings, but way too many.


Coming together away from the flow of work should create energy not kill it.
And not just for the moment of the meeting or event.
It should create a battery full of energy for the work that every one wants to do--that this particular organization wants to do.
"Wants" to do.  Hello.  "Wants to do"
That's where energy comes from.
Wanting to do something.
So its your job to involve people with the something to co- create the "want"
"To do" or action comes from that want.
After that let the energy flow.
It will find its way to the result or goal  IF the organization "wants" it.

Meetings should ignite and reignite the desire to get something done.  
Tie everything you do back to that basic "want"
What does your company "want" to get done.
People should leave your meetings with more energy and focus and optimism than when they entered.  


Everything else is waste.




No comments:

Post a Comment