This blog assumes that blind spots of power come with the CEO role no matter how good or true or well-intended you are. You can't afford to have them. So I give reminders of what I have seen in my experience to help you see. Or try to see. Monday morning practical tips will help you sharpen up and see what tweaks you and your blind spot. A little whack on the side of the head with your Monday morning coffee.

Monday, March 17, 2014

REMEMBER WHEN YOU CARED MORE ABOUT THE "WHAT" THAN THE "HOW"?



WHAT do I want to create?
WHAT idea intrigues me enough to disrupt things?
WHAT can I do better than anyone and that I LOVE to do?
WHAT do I keep thinking about and then shrug off as not possible?
WHAT am I afraid to do for fear of looking foolish?
WHAT would make me look forward to the day?
WHAT do I read that invigorates me?
WHAT do I see as a trend that makes me curious enough to study it?

The constant focus on "how" can be deadening. Efficiency, effectiveness, 
logistics, improvement. Taking the "now" and making it better. Good.
Needed. But not where your CEO brain needs to be all the time.

You have constant day to day demand of reporting results, managing people, resolving the  crisis of the day and monitoring progress--
selling and telling your story to different stakeholders. Needed. Yes.
But very present tense. Your CEO brain needs to be interested in the future.

Back to the "what" that would make you start the same company again.
Juicy, scary, compelling, exciting, just risky enough to keep you on your toes--fun.  

WHAT is the growth engine, not how.








No comments:

Post a Comment