This blog assumes that blind spots of power come with the CEO role no matter how good or true or well-intended you are. You can't afford to have them. So I give reminders of what I have seen in my experience to help you see. Or try to see. Monday morning practical tips will help you sharpen up and see what tweaks you and your blind spot. A little whack on the side of the head with your Monday morning coffee.

Monday, September 29, 2014

I HATED UPLUGGING AND I CHEATED



OK, OK, OK.
I admit defeat.
I did not unplug.
I just was more disciplined about when and how often  I plugged back in.

But I had the goal in the back of my mind all week.
(Maybe should have been in the front of my mind)

What I learned:

--There is an uncomfortable free fall in disconnecting from work.
  And it's very easy to replace with different work rather than settling into
  free space

--I, too, am used to moving something forward, making progress, seeing 
  results.  Not doing that takes an adjustment period. My best, flowing,
  refreshing days came at the end of the week. 

--I like working. I think many of us don't admit that enough. We hide it from
  spouses and kids like work is a shameful addiction. Addiction? Maybe?
  But there are worse.  Let yourself know you enjoy it.

--I unplug best in public spaces like a hotel lobby or a library or a coffee shop.
  I like public privacy for thinking and creating and refreshing. 

--This was a very "mini" break that I took. But still I feel like I am "returning: to
  work with new energy.

Blind spot?  Dont' wait for major vacations that include family or activities.
Find a place to disappear to for a couple of hours at least every two weeks.
Time alone in small segments is a huge leverage of time for refreshing a stale brain or spirit.

1 comment:

  1. "A stale brain and spirit"...so true that great leaders possess bright-and-shininess in both. The functional intellectual/reasoning brain and the emotional soaring spirit that gives people the powerful idea that this is someone and something worth working for.

    ReplyDelete