This blog assumes that blind spots of power come with the CEO role no matter how good or true or well-intended you are. You can't afford to have them. So I give reminders of what I have seen in my experience to help you see. Or try to see. Monday morning practical tips will help you sharpen up and see what tweaks you and your blind spot. A little whack on the side of the head with your Monday morning coffee.

Monday, January 19, 2015

LYING FALLOW IS A NEEDED ACTIVITY--IF YOU HAVE TO CALL IT ONE


I just finished a three day hiatus from the world.
My husband was visiting adult kids and I had the house to myself.
I decided to do nothing that was a task or a goal.

I cleared my calendar and did just enough to feel comfortable not doing anything--I know you know what I mean.

I meandered through books and magazines and back to books.
I spent more time just sitting in front of a fire with coffee than I thought I would. I think it's called day dreaming.  I read two books that pertained to nothing.  And I solved a creative problem with a book I've written but not yet published. I kept resisting calling it "done". Now I know why.

Please learn how to sequester yourself for this kind of "lying fallow".
It's not as easy as it sounds.  It takes time to quit twitching from being addicted
to purposeful action.

Your mind and soul need this refreshment, this emptiness.
It can't work on what needs to happen if you keep it engaged in purpose all the time.  Your brain needs some freedom to solve a problem for you or to come up with a new idea.  

This is a challenge. At least find a sandwich shop or restaurant where you can hang out for an hour or two without being seen. Many execs us traveling alone for this mental break. A long flight alone is perfect. But I suggest the three day sequester. If it makes you feel better, it has a purpose. It allows you time to become more fluid, more creative, not to mention--rested.  Your company deserves your mind and soul at their best.

No comments:

Post a Comment