This blog assumes that blind spots of power come with the CEO role no matter how good or true or well-intended you are. You can't afford to have them. So I give reminders of what I have seen in my experience to help you see. Or try to see. Monday morning practical tips will help you sharpen up and see what tweaks you and your blind spot. A little whack on the side of the head with your Monday morning coffee.

Monday, December 21, 2015

ASSUME GOODWILL


Assuming goodwill at work is a discipline, not a "good people approach" and not a test of your big heart.  It is a stance, an intention, an emotional discipline.  And it can work miracles. I've experienced it.

No organization is without its ugly moments and political alliances. We have structures of power and status in most companies. We haven't found the alternative yet. And so there is often both real and perceived threat to our own positions and influence and resources. 

I was involved in a quagmire that was going south fast. And I received lots of irate, insulting voice mail. (Always a bad way to communicate but a great way to dump anger).  I was dying to pick up the phone and retaliate either with  anger or the superiority of proving others wrong with facts.

I'm not sure what made me do it, but here's what I did. I called back and left a message saying, "Let's assume goodwill and talk when we have some which may not be today."  "Assume goodwill" became a phrase that was used often and sincerely and even with humor and undisguised difficulty. My reaction to hating organizational craziness and was a reset moment so the phrase caught on.  It saved face and bought time and allowed real reflection to occur.  

So in the spirit of the holidays and of the need for peace everywhere one looks, I offer the discipline of ASSUMING GOODWILL first. Talk second.

1 comment: