This blog assumes that blind spots of power come with the CEO role no matter how good or true or well-intended you are. You can't afford to have them. So I give reminders of what I have seen in my experience to help you see. Or try to see. Monday morning practical tips will help you sharpen up and see what tweaks you and your blind spot. A little whack on the side of the head with your Monday morning coffee.

Monday, January 23, 2017

DON'T UNDERESTIMATE PRUDENCE


Yes, I am arguing for prudence. I who have spent much of my professional work enabling organizations to be looser, more authentic, more spontaneous, more direct, and daring.

And that is still my stance. Tightening and bureaucracy tend to come over time and after
facing continuous competition with not much free space in the market. Massaging the organization into freer creativity and fluidity of action is better than agressively exploding all systems into chaos.

At this moment in time, we tend to think communication and change can happen immediately. Or so it looks. Communication, maybe. Real change, no. You can get fake, cosmetic change on the surface of your company while the dead weight of resistance and chaos goes on below.

In other words, you can not Tweet your company into a new reality. Or you create resistance.
Yes, I do base this on watching the elections and the impact in the United States but also through out the world.   And I don't like it as a model for business. Or change. The right amount of prudence sits squarely on the CEO desk.  I view it as a business and financial wisdom, not as scared caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment