This blog assumes that blind spots of power come with the CEO role no matter how good or true or well-intended you are. You can't afford to have them. So I give reminders of what I have seen in my experience to help you see. Or try to see. Monday morning practical tips will help you sharpen up and see what tweaks you and your blind spot. A little whack on the side of the head with your Monday morning coffee.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES FOR MAINE


I live in Maine and vote in Maine.
We have a Governor (Paul LePage) who is embarrassing at best and vile at worst. He may be a good person. Being an ex-HR/OD executive, I won't judge who he is, but I will hold him accountable for what he does--that I can document. You as a top leader would probably have to fire him or tell him he is on notice and put him on a major performance improvement plan. 

Not your business. But, once again, I am supporting you to remember how important you are in setting the level for civil behavior and for demanding that differences be used as an asset not a hate gauge.

I did lots of work in diversity of the broadest kind. Inclusion not just tolerance, all kinds of differences not just the differences protected under the law, and a commitment to the belief that talent and competence comes in varied people.
AND that usually involved creating a safe environment of civil behavior. And yes, there were people in high agreement and in no agreement with these standards and efforts. But, they knew they had to manage their mouths and their behavior.

I write this blog primarily to remind top level leaders of the blind spots of power that come with the role. This is a thank you for taking a lead in seeing the power of differences and, more so, for demanding civil behavior (and learning
too) that seems to be far ahead of public arena. Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment